Thursday, May 1, 2014

Philips Electronic 202 [22 GA 202/33T] turntable refurbishment done

An apology to anyone who became interested

Alright this was finished many months ago already. About a half year but for some reason I forgot to update the blog. Well anyway the sound is awesome and I am in complete awe how things were designed before I was even born. Totally unbelievable experience if you ask from me.

What was done:

  • Replaced main power button, old one had fried probably thanks to dust and other litter inside of it. Sadly original button cap couldn't fit on new one so it doesn't have a cap at this moment.
  • Took off whole circuit board panel off and the plastic cover under it. The plastic cover or what ever it was was crumbling off so replaced it with thin new brown plastic cover. This is insulating the circuit board from aluminium casing.
  • Replaced both motor bands. Finding the correct band wasn't easy. First tried ebay and trusted a turntable dealer with replacement band for 22 GA 202/33T but it was totally wrong. I tried to stretch it with heat but in the end it snapped when it was starting to be correct size. Then back to google and after rigorous searching with different terms, registering to different forums and checking their posts I ended up finding this store Svalander Audio. Down below are links to find correct bands faster for anyone who needs them. I guarantee they are the correct ones.
  • Motor band: Motorrem till Philips 22GA202/33T
  • Disc band: Tallriksrem till Philips 22GA202/33T
  • Fixed automatic LDR based stop function which jammed the needle arm to 3/4 length of LP. The casings holder legs weren't installed properly so they blocked the blinder arms path thus jamming the needle arm. Legs simply weren't bent at the factory.
  • Replaced original wiring inside the casing which was falling apart and used common color coding. (Red for positive low power, black for negative low power, brown for high voltage "line", blue for high voltage "null".
  • Re-soldered cartridge because the old one was poor and one of the cable was actually not soldered.

  • I Didn't fix speed fine tune slider because the spring had lost its tension and replacing it would have been too much hassle. It pretty much does nothing at this moment.
  • Bought 5 din to 4 rca adapter so I don't have to cut original cable off. (just to preserve it properly)
  • Also bought an adapter to fit old euro style power plug into new schuko type socket. Not perfectly save solution because voltage might get leaked on the casing even thought all parts should be "floating" but accidents can happen. Thus why I never let anyone else use device or touch it.

How it looks after refurbishment? 

Pretty much to original just power button cap missing. Have a look:































My current amplifier doesn't have phono input, so bought Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Pre-Amp

How it sounds?

See and hear by yourself:

3 comments:

  1. Very nice work! I've just acquired one of these myself and it looks like it needs a litre tlc before it comes back to life again. Sadly, I don't feel I'm the technically minded person needed for the job. I can't even find a plug adaptor to fit the original power chord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more.
    zonetop10

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts